The USMNT youngster is of the opinion that – with so many new, young players to integrate into the squad, including Ousmane Dembele, Emre Mor, Marc Bartra and Mikel Merino – the time spent together as a unit can only benefit BVB, who finished second in the Bundesliga last season and were runners-up in the DFB Cup.
“I was in the same position as them and of course I would like to help them as much as I can,” said Pulisic, 17, of his new team-mates. “Of course I’m a young player as well, but we are just learning together to become a good team.
“We signed a few new players, even some young players, so it’s been really good to get to know those guys and to see what they can do on the pitch.”
Pulisic in action against Man United.
For his part, Pulisic has also been impressing out on the pitch. The attacking midfielder played the final 16 minutes of Die Schwarzgelben‘s 4-1 victory against Manchester United FC in Shanghai last Friday, before finding the net for the first time in pre-season in the 1-1 draw with Manchester City FC on Thursday in Shenzhen (City won 6-5 on penalties).
With his side a goal down in injury-time, Pulisic received the ball inside the box from Moritz Leitner‘s corner, before sending a low shot past Angus Gunn in the Citizens’ goal to level the scores.
The American then beat Gunn from 12 yards in the shootout, but Merino’s miss condemned Dortmund to a second defeat of pre-season.
Pulisic in training in China.
The loss was hardly enough to stop the local BVB fans singing their hearts out, however, with Pulisic overwhelmed by the support Dortmund have received wherever they have been in China, from Shanghai to Shenzhen.
“All the fans have been unbelievable,” he said. “Honestly I think China is a beautiful country, so I’m excited to be here… I didn’t expect to see so many BVB jerseys and fans here in China. It’s been incredible, the support.”
- ^ Christian Pulisic (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Borussia Dortmund (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ tour of China (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Head here to take part in the official Bundesliga Predictor – win a trip for two to a Bundesliga match of your choice! (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Ousmane Dembele (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Emre Mor (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Marc Bartra (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Mikel Merino (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Die Schwarzgelben (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ 4-1 victory against Manchester United FC in Shanghai (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ in the 1-1 draw with Manchester City FC on Thursday in Shenzhen (City won 6-5 on penalties) (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Moritz Leitner (www.bundesliga.com)