- How to follow:
- BBC Radio 5 live, BBC local radio; live text commentary on the BBC Sport website
Newcastle United will again be without striker Dwight Gayle as he continues to manage a hamstring injury.
Defender Ciaran Clark is closer to a return, having trained with the squad.
Preston North End are without defenders Tom Clarke and Greg Cunningham after they were ruled out with long-term injuries for the rest of the season.
Alex Baptiste and Ben Pearson remain suspended, but there is better news in Tyias Browning’s return to full training, and he could figure.
The Magpies are without a win in three games, having lost two of those games at Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich Town.
If results involving Reading and Huddersfield go their way on Saturday, Newcastle could seal promotion with a win at St James’ Park.
Reading must fail to beat Nottingham Forest and Huddersfield must lose to Fulham in order for that eventuality to occur.
- Newcastle have won each of their last five league games against Preston; their longest winning run against the Lilywhites.
- Preston are winless in five league visits to face Newcastle, losing four of those clashes (D1).
- The Magpies have lost two of their last 31 home league games played on Mondays (W17 D12).
- Preston winger Aiden McGeady has scored five goals from outside the box in the Championship this season, more than any other player.
- Newcastle are winless in three league games (D1 L2) – they haven’t gone four without a victory since Rafael Benitez’s first four games in charge last April.
- Preston have conceded exactly three goals in each of their last three league games (L3) – prior to this, they’d conceded three goals in just three of their last 58 games.