There were standout performances once again from the top to the bottom of the Bundesliga table at the weekend, with seven clubs represented in the Matchday 30 Team of the Week.
The Allianz Arena is not an easy place to play as an opposition player, let alone when it’s just your third Bundesliga appearance. But 23-year-old Jannik Huth was not to be fazed against the record champions as he made a string of saves to deny the all-conquering Bayern another three points at home.
Chandler’s assist for Marco Fabian’s first goal got the Frankfurt set the wheels for the Frankfurt recovery in motion. The USMNT international was his typical attacking self for the Eagles as he looked to add impetus to the Eintracht attacks.
The Darmstadt captain once again showed his powers of leadership as he staved off relegation for the Lilies for yet another week as he opened the scoring in Hamburg for the second season in a row. It was already his ninth goal in his 57th Bundesliga appearance for the defender.
The 25-year-old full-back was once again a persistent attacking threat down the left for Hertha. The defender was also a consistent threat from free-kicks, including a thumping long-range effort to test Wolfsburg ‘keeper Casteels in the first half.
A frustrating day for the Dutch winger, but he still came out of the 2-2 draw against Mainz with a goal and an assist to twice bring Bayern back on level terms. Robben’s 87th Bundesliga goal for the champions moved him level with Claudio Pizarro and Mehmet Scholl as Bayern’s second-highest non-German scorer in the top flight.
The Mexican was Frankfurt’s saviour against Augsburg as he turned the game on its head with two goals inside the closing quarter of an hour to secure a first win in ten for Eintracht and move the Eagles beyond the magic 40-point mark.
The Czech international was a willing runner once again at the heart of the Hertha midfield, covering 13 kilometres as well as assisting six attempts on goal – both were more than any other player on the pitch.
The Frenchman was impressive once again for Borussia Dortmund and once again provided an assist for forward Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang for the ninth time this season just moments after the Gabon international came on.
Watch: Fabian talks about his delight at his first-ever brace.
Featuring in the Team of the Week for the second consecutive matchday, Kruse did even better on Matchday 30 as he scored all four of Bremen’s goals against Ingolstadt as Werder continued their seemingly improbable push for Europe with an eighth win in their last ten matches.
The Hertha captain was the saviour again for the Old Lady as he scored the opening goal for the seventh time this season (a league high). Ibisevic had all of the first five shots attempted in the second half of the game, and scored with his seventh.
He was thrown on in the 57th minute to make a difference with Dortmund trailing 2-1, and that’s exactly what the Bundesliga top scorer did within two minutes of coming on when he fired home from Dembele’s assist to bring BVB level and on track for a late win in the Battle of the Borussias.
- ^ Sign the league’s top performers to your Official Fantasy Bundesliga XI now! (fantasy.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Jannik Huth (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Mainz (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ deny the all-conquering Bayern (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Timothy Chandler (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Eintracht Frankfurt (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Aytac Sulu (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Darmstadt (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Marvin Plattenhardt (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Hertha Berlin (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Arjen Robben (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Bayern Munich (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Claudio Pizarro (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Marco Fabian (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Vladimir Darida (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Ousmane Dembele (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Borussia Dortmund (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Max Kruse (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Werder Bremen (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Vedad Ibisevic (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Battle of the Borussias (www.bundesliga.com)
- ^ Click here for the Matchday 30 round-up (www.bundesliga.com)